Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Vikings Draft - Stage 5

Well, it's finally time to lock in on the position that I think should be addressed at 23. Because of the value of a first round pick I'm going to do three possibilities, like I did with the second round pick but in more detail. It could be perceived as a cop out to locking in on one position but the draft is hard to predict and combining that with the importance of first picks I don't want to lock myself into one position.

I hope the Vikings are able to draft a best player available and fill one of the needs on the team.

So with the 23rd pick in the 2016 NFL Draft the Vikings will hopefully draft either a Lineman, Receiver or linebacker, but not in that order so you'll just have to go on to see the A, B & C.
First and foremost I want a receiver. I've wanted one since before the season was over. Not another 5'10" speedster or a slot guy. I want a guy that's at least 6'2", 230. Whether "fast" or "slow" I just want a guy that will go up and get the ball down the side line, in traffic and in the end zone. Defense will be the calling card for the team in the future but offense sells tickets and helps our young QB fulfill his potential. We're going inside and it's time to start airing it out. So give us a big receiver, at least one, hopefully 2 before the draft is over.

But maybe the top big receivers will be gone by 23. I'm not a fan of reaching on a guy. It never seems to work, it didn't with Christian Ponder and not with Cordarelle Patterson. So in case the best are picked go linemen. That's intentionally vague since it can ascribe to offense or defense. Going with a guy on either side of the line would create ripples that shake the entire draft. With the draft as I've laid it out Defensive line is the clearer choice but going from the top down means that Offensive line could definitely be in play when the clock starts counting down. So if the 7 rounds of the draft went exactly as I have written then Defensive line would be the pick but as I said, if there are not requisite big receivers to take at 23 then I think Offensive line would happen.

Third and finally, Linebacker. After taking Kendricks last year and Barr the year before, I don't love the idea of taking another one high but I have to look at the whole draft and where the team will be a year from now. It may not be the third biggest need, either now or in a year but Safety going in the third leaves it as the most logical of the options not addressed in the higher rounds, recently.

Going defensive line over safety in the third round would throw a wrench into it. Safety is of more need then linebacker so I'd put that third and possibly even second. That would also lock in offensive line over d- line as needs go.

So what do you say about it?
A) Big receiver
B) Lineman (O or D)
C) Linebacker

No comments:

Post a Comment