Sunday, April 17, 2016

Breaking the Silence

Elephant in the room, there are two sports topics that I have been hesitant to address so far but even with everything going on in the sports world the last few days I think it's time to go off on them.

Namely, the Twins and the Wild.

I don't want to pile on but I'm also not looking to ignore issues and just be positive. Well, here goes nothing.
I'm not a hockey fan so I'm just going to get that out of the way first. They made the playoffs. So that means there in the top 16 teams in the league, or at least the top eight in their conference. It's a 30 team league so the playoffs aren't a given but for weeks I've heard that the Canadian teams wouldn't be in the playoffs which eliminate 7 teams from competition. So while making the playoffs is a positive thing, if they didn't make it they should just pack up and call it quits because the NHL was super weak this year.

Living in the stratosphere of the "state of hockey" I've kept having to hear about the Wild on the radio, regardless of how terrible they were. I mean, they only clinched a playoff berth because Colorado couldn't win a game. They maybe won one of their last 5 or 6 games, which is pretty much the definition of backing into the playoffs. It's embarrassing, but they made it in, whatever that's worth. Then they got chopped down by the former North Stars. Great job milds. Maybe they can win a game but I'm personally just rooting for them to get swept so that Hockey talk can be done already.

Now onto the Twins

0-9. ugh

Oh, but they won on Friday and again yesterday and yet again this afternoon. 3-9. Still not awesome but baby steps. I've heard over and over that teams which start that poorly in MLB history don't make the playoffs but sports history is made all the time so one step at a time. Getting those wins is a step in the right direction. So while the start was terrible, it's a long season and it's in it's infancy so getting off the schneid was the first step. Getting a sweep is an even bigger step in the right direction.

The Angels are not a World Series team but they have talent to for the playoffs this season. Two teams, both mired in negativity mere days ago. One of which may have turned the corner and the other which will hopefully see their season end in a matter of days. Only time will tell on each point but seemingly divergent paths in the same weekend.

There it is, I broke my silence about the Twins and Wild. With any luck I'll keep having positive and interesting things to write about the Twins this season, but if not then I'll eventually have to join the cavalcade of negativity that would be going against them.

No comments:

Post a Comment