Sunday, April 10, 2016

Vikings Draft - Stage 3

Well we've reached rounds 4 and 3 now.

As a recap, through the rounds I've already addressed I have the Vikings picking a Defensive Lineman, Wide Receiver, Cornerback and Offensive Lineman. The team needs that I still think they could benefit from addressing through the earlier picks are Linebacker, Safety, Wide Receiver with new additions being Punter and Quarterback.

Before you start yelling at the computer or in your head let me explain a bit.

I like Teddy. I think he has enough ability to win the super bowl but I don't want the Purple to refuse to strengthen the position if it sees a guy worth taking at the pick that they have, possibly even up in the first round. But no spoilers, so don't automatically assume that's the direction I'm going to go when draft day comes around and I address round 1.

As far as punter goes, I didn't address it in the early rounds and I don't want to be drafted at all. Jeff Locke is not the answer for the position but it absolutely needs to be a position that is included in the rookie free agent class. To this point and after this I don't want to a list any particular player but there's a local angle that would fit the need - Ben Lecompte. He won't be drafted because he's a punter from NDSU but he was one of, if not the best punter in the country last year regardless of division. I want the best for the team so hopefully they bring in him or someone else to compete and beat out JL.

Now onto pick talk
Round 4 is number 121 overall.

I've made a point of not posturing about pick trades that will happen but I do think that this pick could be part of one of the trades (yes plural) that Rick will probably make during the draft. For the sake of this exercise I am still going to posture about a position to enforce with 121.

Linebacker. After drafting Anthony Barr 2 years ago and Eric Kendricks a year ago I'm not a fan of going higher on linebacker again but with the way the rest of the position is set it would behoove them to make a move on another young LB at this point.

And now we've reached round 3, number 86 overall.

It's time to find someone opposite number 22 (Harrison Smith). He's the best Safety in the NFL. He doesn't get requisite recognition but if you've watched games and why would you read this if you haven't, then you know that. But seriously, Andrew Sendejo & Robert Blanton don't cut it. They have Antone Exum who's young but hasn't done anything in the first couple years of his career so he may never be the guy and they signed someone from Cincy to come in but it's time to lock in a guy to play opposite Mr. Smith

If no safeties of requisite ability to a third round selection are available when the Vikings are on the clock then I'd say go defensive line.

So Linebacker and Safety or defensive line in the high middle rounds, what do you think?

Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment