Saturday, April 30, 2016

Vikings Draft, Day 3

The Vikings first pick on the day was number 121 overall.

Willie Beavers, Offensive Tackle from Western Michigan
I've never heard of him, nor seen a game including his team. Considering that one of the top rated players was still available at this pick (DT Andrew Billings) I was surprised they went with a tackle. It gives a little more depth to the position and means that there's one more player who will be under contract past this year, which is good considering that there are a bunch of 1 year deals on the O - line. I'll give this pick a C+

Next came #160

Linebacker Kentrell Brothers from Missouri

This was another depth, future player pick up. No one picked in the fifth stuck out to me as better option and getting year to be coached and watching Greenway, Barr and Kendricks could be very beneficial. I'll give this pick a B

Rest of the picks after the break
Number 180

Moritz Boehringer, Wide Receiver from Germany

I was hoping for a second big receiver late in the draft. 6'4" and 227 pounds is plenty of size. The initial discussion about the selection included mention that some had him running in the 4.3's for the 40 yard dash. I'm hoping he's good enough to make the squad or bad enough to make the teams practice squad because I like the size and speed potential. This one deserves an A, I think.

Number 188

Tight end David Morgan II from UTSA

This is a part of the most annoying portion of the draft for the Vikings. A bunch of dumb trades that seemed to do nothing to improve the team. I don't want to let that color my take on the selection but it was a part of it.
I don't think tight end was enough of a priority to get a sixth round selection but he could be a good substitute for Rhett Ellison while he recovers. I'll give this pick a C

Number 227

Stephen Weatherly, Linebacker from Vanderbilt

6'4" 267 pounds is big time size for a linebacker. Beyond that there isn't much I can say about the young man. I'll give the pick a C, since I don't know of anyone who would have been better but also don't have any idea if he's actually good.

8th and finally, #244

Jayron Kearse, Safety from Clemson

I was hoping the Vikings would have gone Safety in the second round but opted to wait til deep in the seventh round. Can't speak to the logic behind the approach but Kearse has some positive attributes which could pay off in the end. Playing at Clemson means he was well coached in college and he's got impressive size (6'4" & 216). The ESPN analysts compared him to Kam Chancellor, which seems unlikely but maybe Zim can coach him up to even a poor version of that. Within 10 picks of Mr. Irrelevant that is a fantastic possibility. I'll give it a B, based on potential, selection value and need.

No comments:

Post a Comment