Sunday, June 19, 2016

The New Cleveland

Before I even begin, whether Cleveland wins the NBA championship tonight or not I don't think they are actually going to be replaced because of the general incompetence of the Browns and long history of misfortune for the Cavs and Indians. Yet a championship would take them off the list of pro sports championship droughts.

As it stands, Cleveland has the third longest drought (52 years). Ottawa dwarfs that with an 89 year drought and San Diego has a 53 year drought. The difference, and I think it's significant, is the number of pro teams that the cities has.

Ottawa has the Senators but no other big time pro sports teams. San Diego has the Chargers and Padres. Cleveland has the Cavs, Browns and Indians, no other team on the list between Cleveland and Minnesota has that many and obviously Minnesota has all four. Yet hasn't had a championship in 25 years. That's 100 years of seasons. Ugggghhhh yuck. Why did Brett have to throw across his body. Why did AP have to fumble so much. Dang it 09.

Now I get that the Lynx have been awesome over the last 5+ years and I've given them due and will do so again before the summer is out. But the WNBA is probably not in the top 10 of sports in this country (that would be including college sports) so I really don't want to lean on that as the drought defeater.

There's more too it that I'll get to after the break.
100 years of seasons without a championship. I can't get over that. By the same math Cleveland's at 156 years and San Diego is at 106.

I'm glad we have four representatives but it makes me sick.

While the same math will probably never be used on ESPN their East coast bias and general disrespect of all things Minnesota will probably make up for the 64 year difference with Ottawa. For the Football season San Diego may become the brunt of jokes but I actually don't even feel confident about that possibility.

With seven minutes to go and the game tied it's anyone's guess what will happen before the end but I'm thoroughly torn about what I want to happen by the end of the game. If only Minnesota could win a championship. Just one. 25% of the teams is all it would take. The Wolves have people hoping. The Vikings have people starting to predict big things but the Wild and Twins are abject disasters that cannot be counted on to free us from the possible mockery to come if the Cavs win tonight.

We're on the verge of replacing the home of the Browns as the most pathetic sports city in America. Just think about that. If you don't feel sickened by that statement, you aren't really a fan(atic) of the local four.

This is all contingent on the outcome of game seven. Four minutes to go. Tied yet again. I hate this.

I know the desire for a championship so I don't want to root against the Cavaliers but I also don't want to be the new Cleveland.

I wish I could just give the benefit of the doubt to the major sports networks but history repeats itself and if Cleveland finishes the most improbable comeback it'll repeat itself with Minnesota. I don't think that can be understated. The Warriors were up 3 - 1 and in full command. The Cavs have been masterful in getting it to game seven and tied with one minute to go. Irving with a huge three!

That's where I'm going to settle on this, the Cavs did the unthinkable and are on the verge of a championship. So for the city, all those fans, barring anything crazy - which is fully possible given the situation, Cleveland does deserve to have a championship tonight. The Minnesota teams just need to nut up and get a championship of our own.

So as much as I hate it, Minnesota is 10 seconds away from becoming the new Cleveland and its on the four teams to shed the streak the same way that the Cleveland Cavaliers just did. Game over. Welcome to the New Cleveland. Dang it.

Congratulations Cleveland!

No comments:

Post a Comment