Friday, June 24, 2016

It's Dunn, or is it?

Not gonna bury the lead on this one, last night the Timberwolves drafted Kris Dunn with the fifth pick in the NBA draft.
As I've been constructing my free agent board point guard has been and will be well covered. Not to beat around the bush, but I don't like this pick. Dunn may be a fine NBA point guard for a long time but as someone over at Canishoopus.com commented last night, this smells like a guy trying to get his own players in, regardless of who is already on the team.
I don't consider Ricky Rubio to be an untouchable piece on this team but the team was far better when he was on the court in comparison to Andre Miller or Tyus Jones. Dunn has many of the same characteristics of Rubio, which is good in many ways but also that he is another point guard with a weak offensive game. With the current construction of the team from last season, the top six guys - including Rubio averaged 80 points. That's a good start. Maybe Dunn will average another 10 points, which would bring us to 90. If Rubio is traded though because of the similarity, that brings up back down to 80.
So that's a net value of zero.
The last lottery pick that we will hopefully have for a long time should not result in a net gain of zero.
I wanted Buddy Heild and his sweet stroke from three. I think he has best in draft potential and we blew the pick.
But Tom Thibodeau and Scott Layden made a different call. I'm still fired up about it and New Orleans is now my second favorite team in the association. Kris Dunn is a Timberwolf. Simply put, it's done.

Or is it?
All through the evening, trade rumors swirled around the Timberwolves and Dunn. There was no OJ Mayo for Kevin Love type trade during the late hours of the night and to this point there still has not been. Maybe there never will be. Maybe Rubio will be traded, but I don't want that to happen. Or maybe someone will give us a deal for Dunn that is attractive enough.

It's already been reported that Thibs turned down an offer by Chicago of Jimmy Butler for Dunn and Zach LaVine. I'm totally fine with that because I think Zach is the third best player on the team and is still learning how to play. Thibs must be confident in LaVine's defensive potential to turn down a guy who he has years of experience with.

So the odds seem firmly in the direction of no trade going down. We still have a terrible crew of three point shooters and it sucks. I don't know how to put it any other way. Lottery picks cannot result in net gains of zero. If Rubio is traded that's how I see this pick and it's frustrating. All I can do now is just get over it and hope they get some competent deep men in free agency or in rookie free agency. And that's where I'll be going next.

As RFA's are signed I'll post em up on here and I'll keep working through the list of potential free agents for the team to sign. Not sure which will go live first but check back often or sign up at the top of the page to receive notifications by email when I do a new post.

Let me know what you think!
Do you love the pick?
Are there moves you would like to see happen in the coming days that I didn't mention yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment