Sunday, May 1, 2016

Rube Rant

Not everything that happens in the world of sports is blue skies and bunnies, even when the scope of focus is limited to the area which I desire to cover. So when a rant is required because of stupid or annoying things happen this will be the format. I can't quite say I hope it's a weekly thing but I plan on it being a recurring post.

And in case you were wondering, no there won't be profanity or coarse use of language.

The thing that has my ire from this past week is the approach that the GM took. In general I approve of and enjoy the players that Rick Spielman takes with the draft. He has brought in many good players, more successful draft selection and free agent acquisitions then failed ones. He has also made good trades along the way, look no further then the trade he made with the Dolphins to flip a third round pick for a third and fourth next year and sixth yesterday.

But then he just made an obnoxious number of silly trades in the later rounds. Thanks to one Christopher Gates over at The Daily Norseman the trades were deciphered.

Essentially, what the Vikings did was
-Move down two spots in Round 6 (from 186 to 188)
-Move up thirteen spots in Round 7 (from 240 to 227)
-Pick up two mid-round picks in the 2017 NFL Draft from Miami (third round pick, conditional fourth round pick)
I'll get to the rant after the break
As I said, I'm a fan of snatching the two picks next year. As the first round was unfolding I had a feeling the team was going to trade down. With the feeling I was hoping any trade down would include picks next year. Thankfully, it didn't happen in the first and they got the receiver I wanted most in the draft.

But then after most of the rounds had expired Rick just couldn't help but make the trades. Instead of just trading down in the sixth and running with the rest of the draft he came back up, picks lower then what had already been to take a tight end. I get that Rhett Ellison is hurt for the off season and is on a one year deal. Maybe this David Morgan guy could do what RE has done for the last few years but then just take him at 186 with the later pick in the sixth round since he would probably still be there.

Spiel man, get over yourself thinking you are the smartest person in the league! Trying to be the smartest can result in making the dumbest decisions. He's a good GM, great even but it's just annoying and stupid! Not making trades, just trying to be the most clever and outwitting yourself in the process.

A little less then 24 hours after it all went down and it's still just really annoying to me. Maybe it'll all work out in the end but it could have been done so much more simply if just approached directly. SKIP THE HOOP JUMPING!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment