Sunday, May 29, 2016

Drama Town

Coming on the heels of the Baylor revelation most of what I'm about to spout about is insignificant. I have a strong and at least moderately controversial opinion about what should happen to people who sexually abuse others. It's much more important then sports. It's more tragic then the loss of any game. It is a terrible representation by a school that on paper aligns itself with a certain sect of Christianity. I hope that those people turn to Jesus and find healing for the wounds.


I'm not a Gopher fan. I've said it before and will say it again in the future. I lived in the Twin Cities for close to five total years. During that time I heard so much about the Gophers. Saw the gear and had to deal with their presence on a regular basis. But they're terrible.

Sure the Hockey teams (Men's & Women's) have won some championships and unknown to me, the wrestling has had success. And they did have a played drafted #4 not to long ago - Rachel Banham into the WNBA. So a few positives but the swell is overwhelmingly to the negative.

Go back a while and the athletic director's run ended on a scandal. Then you've got Basketball player issues popping up. Fast forward a little further and their coach was found to have over spent, though by permission of the then gone AD. Now their's drug dealing by some of the wrestlers. I probably forgot to mention some as well.

Are you kidding me? Such a high level of incompetence and drama. I'm tempted to feel bad for the Gopher backers cause they didn't ask for any of it, but they choose to be on the wagon. Less then 250 miles away is a school that rarely has any issues, and to my recollection has never had as bad of a run as that. Championships. Poached coaches for bigger positions. The #2 overall pick in the NFL draft. Yeah I'm talking about NDSU.

I can't classify myself as a fan of NDSU until I lived in the Cities. I heard and saw everything about the UofM and couldn't help but go in on a school that actually succeeds. That is bandwagon by definition but it started before the 5 straight football championships. The visits by college game day. The entries into the NCAA Men's basketball playoff. Having football and basketball coaches hired by bigger school's yet continuing to win. That is excellence exemplified.

Sorry to turn the dagger but facts are facts. There is another fact, down by the UofM there is an area known as Dinkytown. Well it's accurate now to recognize the whole area as drama town. Not the whole school because a university is much more then the sports teams and I can only hope for the sake of the students that the education departments are being managed properly. The sports complexes are just down the road from Dinkytown so I think drama town is a fitting title for the area.

This could be considered a rant or a gloat but I don't care enough about the Gophers to get fired up about it and rant. It is also not my intention to actually gloat, just trying to compare and contrast, factually. It is a major sports storyline in the area and that's the commitment I've made on here.

Maybe drama town can get straightened out but if history repeats itself then it doesn't bode well for that sector, but KG so memorably said years ago "anything is possible." If it never comes then the title will stick, at least as far as I'm concerned.

No comments:

Post a Comment