Saturday, March 26, 2016

Draft Take

I had intended to do my first post about the NFL draft with it only a handful of weeks away but with March Madness in full effect I'm jumping that one and going to the NBA Draft.

It's presumptive and there's months before the draft order will even be established but that doesn't deter me from putting out there who I want the Timberwolves to take.

Here's a hint, they can shoot threes.

Unfortunately the Pups may only have one pick in the whole draft because of an earlier trade with Boston. Now I'd much rather them have a first round pick (which is top 12 protected) then second round picks this year and next year. Though I'd like the non guaranteed contract that the second round offers.

I looked into a few mock drafts and none of them had the second guy listed so I'm going to proceed with his portion like he'll be an undrafted player.
The one and only guy that I want to see the lake squad draft is Buddy Heild.

I had never heard of this kid until this year, which surprised me since he's a senior and I'm big on college ball but it's OU so I'm putting some of the anonymity on that. If you somehow haven't heard of this kid, you need to look him up. As I sit, he's putting on a clinic against Oregon.

I can't think of a better shooter on the college level since one Stephen Curry was kickin it at Davidson. I won't pretend to think that Buddy can get to the level of Steph, cuz I don't think he'll ever emphasize the ball handling but with Rubio leading the way we don't need another ball handler as much as an elite level shooter.

Some think that seniors from college aren't a good choice in the draft but with all the 20 year olds on our squad already I like the idea of drafting someone who has the years of high level coaching and play who also fills a need.

The controversial elements may be drafting the best player available vs. drafting for need. Also the progress that Zach has made this year.

First thing's first, every year there are players who are not as highly regarded who end up being the best from their classes. Think Curry or Klay Thompson, Zach Lavine or Kwahi Leonard. Buddy will fit that billing. The Wolves will likely draft around #5 and as sexy as it would be to have the number 1 overall pick I don't like Simmons so hopefully they do get around the fifth pick and whatever the grade by some may be on Buddy, just take him. He will be an elite three point shooter to plug into the starting line up. So the worry about BPA vs. need is not necessary because one of the best players in the draft will also fill a need.

Now on ZL. He's made a bunch of progress this year and I'm glad that Flip picked him but I think he'll be best suited as a bench player going forward. Great offensively but just not good enough defensively. I regard it as his choice because of his measurable's and his immeasurable athleticism. So as a choice he needs to be held accountable for that. Not to side track too much, but I think that Thib's will be the best coach to hold the whole team accountable for defense.

Well from what I've seen in the tournament, Buddy plays pretty good defense. It's still college and it's the tournament so he may be putting in extra effort, but he's doing it, which means he can and will. So sorry Zach, but it's time for you to take over as the sixth man!

All that and I still have the second youngster to put out there.

Kyle Wiltjer.

This is all based on the possibility of him going undrafted. A thing that I think is unlikely but could happen.
If it does, the wolves need to bring him in to Mankato for camp.
He's another veteran college player, probably even older then Heild since he transferred from Kentucky to Gonzaga during his career. But he started out as one of Cal's kids. He doesn't bring scrubs to Kentucky.

From what I've heard, Cal thought it was best for him to transfer to continue his career. That could be a red flag but I've never head negatives about the young man so I think it had to do with keep space for all the one and done's open as Rupp.

Being an undrafted player reduces the risk associated to almost 0 but think it would be low whether he were to be drafted or not. He would again bring some age and experience to our squad, while being on a good contract for the team and most importantly - fill a need.

The old stretch 4. And he is a defense stretcher. Just take a look back at the Gonzaga game against Cuse from last night. He was shooting over that zone defense from Curry range. And he's big enough to go into the lane to rebound.

So two seniors who would add valuable three point shooting, defense and age to our favorite squad.

There are months before the draft happens but as the tournament wanes those are the 2 guys I would love to see the Wolves bring in, via the draft. A year ago it was KAT and Tyus so take that for what you will.

Before any of it happens they need to lock in the next coach, and they need to get that right as much, if not more then anything else in the coming off season.

So there you go. What you think? Leave it in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment