Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Late Summer Swoon

I'm playing catch up again as the last few weeks have gotten away from. As is always the case, there have been many sports developments to recap. In no particular order, but in rapid fashion I'll hit on the main stories that have broken recently.

I didn't make it to Mankato for Vikings training camp so I don't have anything to say about that but will be breaking the team down come Friday night.

The Twins have continued their recent hot streak, if my math is right they've gone 21 - 14 since July 1. As much as I want the team to succeed, with the hole that they're in I just don't think that having late success like that is in the best interest of the team and organization. I hope they get as splashy as the Wolves and Wild have when they hired they're new leaders. Even that won't solve it though because of the legitimate lack of major league talent in the organization. The whole thing has to be gutted and practically started from scratch. There are some players worth keeping around but removing as much as possible seems to be the only solution.

I hate to say that because I don't like stumping for people to lose their jobs. That is the dirty business of professional sports, unfortunately.

Moving on from that, while there are few local anglesm as far as I've heard, I would be remiss to not mention the Olympics. The Basketball teams, Swimmers and the lady Gymnasts have been the predominant stories but there are so many other stories to report.

  • I watched a fencing match where from the brink of elimination the American favorite fought back to win. He got down 13 - 7 and 14 - 10 (whatever reason fencing only goes to 15 points) yet was able to make a spectacular comeback to push through and he got the Silver medal after a couple more matches.
  • One of the only local stories that I've heard of was actually historical. The bronze medal winner in the 100 backstroke, David Plummer became the oldest first time Olympic medalist. He's from Oklahoma and is a NY swimmer but went to the university of Minnesota and now works as a swim coach in Wayzata, MN.
And that's just so far, I'm sure there will be other nuggets deserving of coverage before the games end.

Now onto one of the biggest story out of Fargo
About a week and a half ago news broke that NDSU was changing it's media policy with their change of representation from 740 the Fan to Bison 1660.  I've heard a lot of negative reactions to the policy, which has already changed after all the complaining, but don't agree with it. It would have in some ways affected my writing about the NDSU teams, which I would have been negative about but hold to what I said on Twitter, they can do what they want. 740 gave them an hour a day, max and has already latched onto the university to the North so I don't think they deserve the opportunity to cover the Bison just because of the history.

I feel bad for the writer who would have had such limited access and opportunity to cover the teams and think it was better to change the policy but still don't think that NDSU was really in the wrong.

More then anything I'm happy that the Bison get more coverage on a dedicated sports station. They are the premier FCS program in football and a good basketball team so while some people had their feathers ruffled I'm just glad for more coverage! Time will tell whether the new operation can be as good as Scott Miller and crew were but the switch to FM for the games will be a nice upgrade.

I haven't heard anything telling about the Bison camp which means no injuries or controversies. That's the norm but are welcome facts nonetheless.

That's what's behind, but there are so many things to look forward to in the days to come.

The Vikings have preseason game 1 on Friday night.

Carson Wentz gets to show what he has and what he has to develop. I'll do a run down of anything noteworthy for him and the other NDSU players looking to make it in the NFL this season, soon. 

The Bison Football team hosts Charleston Southern in just over 2 weeks, on ESPN.

So check back!

No comments:

Post a Comment